Zenith Port Royal “Buckley” Dial – Extremely Rare, One of Only 270 Examples, mid-1980s
We are auctioning off this beautiful and rare Zenith Port Royal Titanium timepiece. All you have to do is click the button below and send in your highest bid by Friday, September 25, 2020. We will invoice the winning bidder the following Monday. You can find the Auction Rules & Conditions on the bottom of this email.
Estimated Value: USD $6,250 – $7,750 US Dollars
Sold For: $5,675
Description of the Timepiece
This is an extremely rare, highly attractive and unusual all titanium Zenith “Port Royal” Automatic “El Primero” Chronograph made in only 270 examples from 1984-1986. The reference is equipped with full calendar (German) and moon phase, chronograph, 30-minute and 12-hour registers and tachymeter scale. Given the timekeeping features, the quality and the rarity of the watch, this is one of the biggest bargains in the watch market IMHO.
This mint watch features an outstanding stealthy grey “Buckley” dial with warm patina luminous plots and Roman numerals. The watch has an outstanding red chronograph hand (rarer than the ones with the white) and a Zenith-designed titanium bracelet perfectly matching the case. The timepiece is in excellent condition, showing very light signs of wear and no scratches or dings.
The movement is the caliber El Primero, which was the first-ever automatic chronograph and one of the best-known calibers in the watchmaking industry. Introduced back in 1969, the El Primero is one of the most reliable movements, used by Rolex for the Daytona model from1988 to 2002. The El Primero is superbly accurate thanks to its high frequency 5 hz (36,000 vph) and has 50 hours of power reserve.
Collectors are particularly keen on the extremely rare models featuring Cal. 3019. The present Cal. 3019PHF is engraved 41.0, with 17 jewels (as opposed to the 31-jewel original), monometallic Glucydur balance, self-compensating flat hairspring, shock absorber and column wheel chronograph. The dial, case and movement are signed. Sold in the mid-1980s, the present watch is in almost new condition, only bearing small signs of wear on the case back. The same model is described and illustrated in the book “Zenith” by Manfred Rossler, page 269, and was also written up recently by Hodinkee.
- Reference: No 95.0105.418 270ex
- Case Material Titanium
- Case Dimension 40mm
- Movement Automatic – El Primero 3019PHF 41.0
- Bracelet / Strap Integrated titanium
- Accessories Extra Expansion Link for the Bracelet
- Condition: Excellent with no visible scratches or ding
Conditions of Sale:
1. The sale is subject to a minimum reserve. There is no buyer premium.
2. We will add 3% to cover PayPal fees if that is your chosen method of payment.
3. We will provide insured overnight shipping via FedEx at no extra charge.
4. The highest current bid will be posted on the auction page on a daily basis.
5. The cut-off for email Bids is 12:00:00 midnight Eastern Standard Time.
6. In case of a tie, the first highest bid received wins.